According to The Verge, Samsung will provide at least four years of security updates for Galaxy devices released in 2019 and beyond.
Prior to this, Samsung provided a two-year security update service for newly sold devices. Security updates will be pushed to user devices every month or quarter, and the update frequency is determined by the product positioning and price of the device itself.
Generally speaking, high-end devices in the Galaxy series, such as Galaxy Note or Galaxy S series, can be updated once a month. And those low- and medium-priced devices, such as the 2020 Galaxy A71 5G, are updated every quarter.
Samsung has also lowered the update frequency of some high-end devices after being released for a period of time, from the original monthly update to quarterly updates, such as the Galaxy S8 series.
Samsung has only promised “regular security updates” for four years. However, some models can only enjoy Samsung’s lowest update frequency, which may be updated quarterly or once a year. And this policy only applies to devices that the company still supports.
Join Our Samsung Channel On Telegram
However, the new statement does indicate that Samsung is working to extend the lifespan of dozens of devices, including those cheaper entry-level phones that don’t normally receive such long-term support.
Another thing that consumers need to pay attention to is that Samsung only promises a four-year security upgrade for Galaxy devices, not an upgrade of the Android operating system, so the user’s Android version number may still be older.
Eligible devices include Galaxy Z, Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, Galaxy A, Galaxy M and Galaxy XCover series phones, as well as Tab series tablets. These devices will regularly receive at least 4 years of security updates.
The following is a complete list of devices that will receive 4-year security updates:
- Galaxy foldable devices: Fold, Fold 5G, Z Fold2, Z Fold2 5G, Z Flip, Z Flip 5G.
- Galaxy S series: S10, S10+, S10e, S10 5G, S10 Lite, S20, S20 5G, S20+, S20+ 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S21 5G, S21+ 5G, S21 Ultra 5G.
- Galaxy Note series: Note10, Note10 5G, Note10+, Note10+ 5G, Note10 Lite, Note20, Note20 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 Ultra 5G.
- Galaxy A series: A10, A10e, A10s, A20, A20s, A30, A30s, A40, A50, A50s, A60, A70, A70s, A80, A90 5G, A11, A21, A21s, A31, A41, A51, A51 5G, A71, A71 5G, A02s, A12, A32 5G, A42 5G.
- Galaxy M series: M10s, M20, M30, M30s, M40, M11, M12, M21, M31, M31s, M51.
- Galaxy XCover series: XCover4s, XCover FieldPro, XCover Pro.
- Galaxy Tab series: Tab Active Pro, Tab Active3, Tab A 8 (2019), Tab A with S Pen, Tab A 8.4 (2020), Tab A7, Tab S5e, Tab S6, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 Lite, Tab S7 , Tab S7+.
If you like our news and you want to see such news even further, then follow RealMi Central on Telegram, Twitter, Facebook (Page) (Group) & Instagram.