Google is currently introducing new, revised menus in Google Docs. If you are now in the menu band, you will notice that menus have become shorter in some cases. Furthermore, the functions have been reorganized so that core functions can be found better. Icons should help to find useful elements faster.
The changes affect all users and will have arrived everywhere by the end of May at the latest.
We’re updating the menus in Google Docs to make it easier to locate the most commonly-used features. In this update you’ll notice:
- Shortened menus for better navigation
- Reorganization for a more intuitive feature location
- Prominent icons for faster recognition
- End users
Why it’s important
The new design improves the findability of key features, making it quicker and easier to use Docs. Note that existing functionality isn’t changing with this launch.
For features that have been reorganized, we hope that their new menu location will be more intuitive and make it easier and faster to navigate the product. In particular, Apps Script-related functionality is now grouped under the new “Extensions” menu. This includes access to the Apps Script IDE as well as management of add-ons.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End-users: This feature will be available by default. Visit the Help Center to learn more about using Google Docs
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout with anticipated completion by end of May
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers Available to users with personal Google Accounts