Apple today released iPadOS 14.7, which marks the seventh update of the iPadOS 14 operating system that came out in September 2020. Apple has released iOS 14.7 on July 19, but due to some reasons, the debut of iPadOS 14.7 has been postponed to today. The iPadOS 14.7 update can be downloaded for free. All eligible devices can upgrade the software via OTA in the Settings application. To access the new software, please go to Settings > General > Software Update.
Apple today also released the official version of macOS Big Sur 11.5 for Mac computer users. This is the fifth major upgrade of macOS Big Sur. macOS Big Sur 11.4 was released two months ago. macOS Big Sur 11.5 includes the following improvements for Mac:
- The Library tab in Podcasts allows you to choose to view all programs or only the programs you follow.
This update also fixes the following issues:
- The number of plays and the last playdate in the Music library may not be updated.
- When logging in to a Mac computer equipped with an M1 chip, the smart card may not be used.
Most of the current iPad models support the upgrade of iPadOS 14.7 with a build number of 18G69, but iPad Air 4 and iPad Air 8 receive a special update with a build number of 18G70, which indicates that the release of iPadOS 14.7 is to fix a problem that affects these devices.
According to the update instructions released by Apple, iPadOS 14.7 provides two Apple Cardmembers of the same family with the option to merge card accounts. It also adds a new Podcasts option and fixes a USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter. The error that may cause the audio to stop playing, the full release instructions provided by Apple are as follows.
iPadOS 14.7 brings the following improvements and bug fixes to your iPad:
- The Apple Card family has added the option of combining credit lines and sharing a co-owned account with existing Apple Card users.
- Home application adds the function of managing timers on HomePod
- Podcast library allows you to choose to view all programs or only the programs you follow
- Fixed the issue of missing menu options for shared playlists in Apple Music
- Fixed an issue where Dolby Atmos and Apple Music may stop unexpectedly when playing lossless audio
- Invalid information may be displayed when composing an email in Braille
- Fixed an issue where audio may stop playing or skip when using the USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter on iPad
- iPadOS 14.7 may be the last update of the iPadOS 14 operating system, as Apple is transitioning to iOS and iPadOS 15 to be launched this fall.